Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Good Samaritan


Lately it seems I have been doing more and more illustrations for biblical stories, this painting is the latest for a publication called The Liahona, I like this painting, it was a challenge to compose because it has been done so many times. As an illustrator you get to paint so many different subjects and usually you work on a tight deadline, this image for me is a serious subject and it would have been nice to have a month or so to work on it, but alas a few days is all that time would allow. Ironically the models I asked to pose for me are very symbolic, much like the parable, The one posing for the Samaritan is a professional counselor, The wounded "certain man" ( the words used in the bible) has recently been through a terrible tragedy, where he lost his wife in an automobile accident, as I was painting it, it donned on me how symbolic the whole thing was becoming, so I tried my best to express in the emotion and tenderness of the moment of one serving another. I hope you like it too.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful work! I love your take on the story.

Brenda said...

Dan,
I love it! Beautiful! You are so talented!

Life's Beautiful Path said...

Great work Dan, in bringing this bibical scene to life. Where do you get the time and strength to do so many pieces at the same time with some on a short time line.

Jennifer said...

Wonderful :)

Wife and Mother said...

Are you the illustrator who did The Disciples Peter and John Running to the Sepulchre? I've been looking for a print. Are they available anywhere for purchase?

Dan Burr said...

I'm glad you all like this painting, It is significant to me, and yes I am the one who did the Peter and John running image, It is available as a print.

StratoArt said...

I love your work here. Amazing art, wonderful!